Thursday, September 22, 2011

Alternative careers in chemistry: EH&S

This week's chapter in "Nontraditional Careers in Chemistry"* is on safety and regulatory positions in chemistry. The interviewees for this chapter seem to be more heavily oriented to the regulatory aspects of the position. I really enjoyed the story of Ruth, a B.S.-level chemist, environmental consultant and entrepreneur. After many years experience in bench chemistry, supervisory duties and handling regulatory affairs for her various employers (including a stint as QA director), she set out on her own:
Ruth did her research and found out that to go into consulting, it is best to have a five-year financial safety cushion, since it can take that long tio break even. After reviewing their family finances and engaging in much discussion with her husband, Ruth decided to try consulting again. She wrote her resignation letter, giving her employer three week's notice and allowing herself time to set up an office, print business cards and so on.  
Ruth recalls, "I planned to turn int the resignation when the lab director returned from the trip. However, my plans changed radically when he called the day before I planned to turn in my notice and terminated me. I took me one half hour to pack up and leave. 
I also quickly learned that flexibility is a key ingredient for a consultant. The very next morning, my first day on my own, I received a phone call. A company was getting ready for an EPA audit that would occur on the following day. 
They had called the lab where I used to work and had been informed that I was out for the day, so they were calling me at home. They asked if I would be willing to assist them and could I be there within an hour. They answer to both was yes, of course. After the initial meeting with the corporate personnel, I was hired. When they asked for a business card I told them I would give them some as soon as I received them from the printers. When asked for a company name, I gave the first name that came to mind, [her last name] Consulting. The audit when well and resulted in a continuing arrangement with that company. 
I've actually worked with regulatory consultants before -- I find that it appears to attract people in the field (either from the corporate or the government side) with a great deal of experience that have decided to hang out their shingle. They're usually (it appears) used to dealing with impending crises. I think it's interesting how much of these positions is based on setting policy and generating/fighting paperwork and regulatory agencies.

*As always, CJ's copy of the book helpfully provided by the author, Dr. Lisa Balbes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20