DuPont will eliminate about 1,700 job in Delaware in early 2016, the company announced Tuesday.
CEO Ed Breen announced the layoffs in a memo sent to DuPont’s roughly 6,100 Delaware employees on Tuesday.
The job cuts include employees who were told earlier this month that their jobs were being cut, along with several hundred who will received notification in January.
The workers will depart the company by the end of March.
Breen said he chose to announce the full impact now – before those remaining employees receive a pink slip – because DuPont is required to detail the layoffs in a state filing due by Dec. 31.
“Especially given that we are in the middle of the holidays, we would have preferred to wait until individual notifications were complete before reporting the full local impact,” Breen wrote in the memo. “… I wanted you to hear the difficult news – directly from me …”Best wishes to those affected.
UPDATE: From Philly.com's Joseph N. DiStefano, an e-mail from a CR&D scientist (thanks, Anon318p). Mr. DiStefano's annotations are italicized:
We will hear what happens to all of Central Research and Development [CR&D], on January 4th. Three options:
1. Laid off -- ~80% of CR&D will get this. Of the 250 principal investigators [PIs, with PhDs] plus associate investigators [AIs, with BSci, MSci degrees], about 17 PIs plus 34 AIs will be left.
(But of that 80%, some will stay with DuPont in other jobs, another company source says. That leaves option 2:)
2. Pulled into a business... (But) the businesses are laying off staff.
(And then there's option 3, for the minority who keep their jobs in the renamed Central R&D unit):
3. Be part of "Science & Innovation," the new CR&D.
Five of the seven CR&D managers have been let go. 60% of the patent group in CR&D, IB and other businesses have been cut... 90% of Pioneer (crop seed R&D) was laid off, 200 people -- a week before Christmas -- what a great holiday present! The other 10% were told to move to Iowa or else they would not have jobs.
We have been told not to work in our labs. We have been told just to make certain all of our chemicals are labeled (for disposal).
And we have been told that we have a day to collect our personal belongings and get out [off site permanently by Jan 5th].
So I am here "working" most of this week -- removing my personnel effects... Jan 4th (I will) learn my fate... Looking at academic positions, consulting...
There will be a lot of good people looking for jobs.
My heart goes out to those folks that are at mid-career and do not have the "cushion" of retirement.
I found one AI almost crying in the hallway last week.
It will be terrible to be here on Jan 4th.
NO ONE would have predicted what is happening now at DuPont just a couple of months ago!
Ed Breen and Nelson Peltz can take credit for destroying one of the best industrial research organizations in the world.
I will agree that there were issues. But you fix things, not destroy them. That is what real leaders do.
Dupont does a terrible job marketing. It is the interface between marketing and technology development that had been broken. -- So you destroy the technology organization? Not!
If you have a leaky roof -- do you burn down the house?
It is just so surreal!!Holy cow.